[C38] Chain Plates still leaking

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Sun Oct 5 03:33:55 EDT 2008

I found water after today's rain on the starboard quarter berth in approximately the same location Phil found it on the port side in the galley cabinets.  After thinking about how he traced the water from one of his lower chain plates through a maze of butted plywood im quessing I have the same situation.  After investigating deck side I found thin seperation cracks between the chain plate and the caulk.  My chain plates as I assume others are not centered in the cutouts and make it near impossible to get enough sealant in the gaps to make an effective seal considering the movement between the chain plates and the deck.  Im sure something as simple as applying silicone to the hardware topside would offer a temporary fix.    I came up with an idea I wanted to toss out for comment:

Assuming the problem is the tight clearances on one side or the other of the chain plate to the deck plate I am thinking of fabricating some new deck plates that are one inch tall and have a larger cutout for the chain plate to pass through.  This should allow for enough sealant to be applied on all sides of the chain plate as well as offer another inch of sealant depth.   Im fortunate to have a machine shop and a rubber company, so it would also be feasible to mold a rubber boot to slide over the rigging and cover the deck plate if needed.  But I think the deck plate alone should solve the problem.  Your thoughts please, Thanks.

Steve
Peregrine #312
Seattle