[C38] Flying an asymmetrical

Joseph Launie jlaunie at cox.net
Wed Jan 23 22:11:18 EST 2008

Phil,
    Going dead down with any sail combination up shortens the ourse but
lengthens the time you spend on it because it is slow. Our racing
program is 32 wet wednesdays and 21 weekend races (we do not make them
all) so we have spent a lot of time on the water with the A-chute. We
find that it is usually best to stay at 150 or better and in light air
to heat it up by going as close to beam reach as you can get.
One mistake often made when flying the chute is keeping the main in too
tight. We drop it down all the way on the travelerer and tighten the
sheet to help the vang hold it down. Joe Macavity