[C38] Compass fix in CA

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Thu Jan 24 13:19:33 EST 2008

Hi, Max,
	We just had the compass redone on JACE about a year ago.  I'll have to
look up the company, but Nancy keeps pretty complete records.  We had
the globe replaced and the oil changed.  They also did some work on the
card I think, but I am not sure.  Anyway it really looks great and works
well.  We had to spin it ourselves, and I used the GPS heading along
with land marks for that.  Be careful and mark the mount direction, and
the locations of the compensation magnets on the bottom when removing
the compass.  The magnets control the deviation of the instrument in
place.  The compass must be spun on the boat after work to compensate
for the metal on the boat and double check the compensation.  I found
the instructions somewhere, but the compass shop will probably write
them down for you if you request it.

Regards,
Les H