[C38] Oil Dipstick

Charles charles at finn.ws
Sat Jan 26 10:19:40 EST 2008

Checking the oil level is one of my least favorite chores and therefore
does not get done as routinely as I would wish (meaning before I start
the engine).  I really don't like getting in there when the engine is
hot!   One issue you might want to take into account given a lot of us
have ended up replacing engine mounts is that our engines are mounted on
a slant....   I found that my dipstick read "low" after having this done
(by draining all the oil and then adding exactly the spec).   I took a
file and made the correct mark on the stick to ensure against overfilling.
I also have a heavy oil resistant tube installed from the oil drain,
that comes forward and rises above the engine oil level to ensure
against losing oil through a petcock vibrating open.  Changing oil is
pretty easy with this simple addition although I still wrestle with the
oil filter location.

All the best,
Charles Finn
Mighty Quinn #114