[C38] **VL-JUNK** Prop Question

mark turner empty1 at ntlworld.com
Tue Feb 5 20:32:00 EST 2008

The Goose has a 3 blade fixed prop and the original Universal engine. We
plod along at 6.5knots at 1800 revs for hour after hour.. we don't race and
in normal cruising mode don't notice any significant difference in
performance under sail compared with the folding prop boats. Dead Calm is on
our patch, and Rob was gob smacked (as we Brits say) at our superior
motoring speed compared to his (I believe he has the Martec folding prop).
Perhaps our sail speed  is maintained because our keel is nearly a foot
shorter without the added length of the shoal draft boats. My instinct is
that for us, it would really only be a factor in light airs sailing. We can
stop dead and go backwards rapidly.... direction in astern is our only
worry.lol
Mark Turner. #80 The Goose. Solomons MD