[C38] Fw: Keel Stub Wood Removal reveals Keel Bolts needreplacement?

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 22 15:36:01 EST 2008

Hi Rob,

The keel bolts on the Catalina 38 were molded in place when the lead was poured.  The little cousin Catalina 27 had carbon steel keel bolts in the early years which caused failures when the bolts corroded, especially in salt water.

The Catalina 27 remedy to upgrade (if the keel was still attached and not at the bottom of the water) was to drill long holes through the keel stub and into the lead keel centered between the existing factory bolts while trying to keep from getting too close to the edge of the keel.  Then long stainless lag bolts were inserted to add additional support to the original keel bolts.

There is no way this method can replace the strength of the original keel bolts that were cast in place but it beats the price of a new keel.  To my knowledge, all Catalina 38 keel bolts are stainless and shouldn't need replacement.

Tom Troncalli
Renata #95
St. Pete, Fla