[C38] Fw: Keel Stub Wood Removal reveals Keel Bolts need replacement?

Charles charles at finn.ws
Fri Feb 22 16:38:17 EST 2008

Rob,
A careful look at the picture suggests you might have an electrolysis
problem (galvanic corrosion)...  At least to me, it looks like the
threads are completely gone where the nut was.  I have to wonder if your
washer is a different metal, but it does not make sense as these came
from the factory....   Another condition is something called microbially
sustained pitting corrosion of stainless steel in anaerobic seawater (I
understand the problem is the same for 316 stainless, but am not sure).
My little knowledge of this issue comes from rigging corrosion where the
threads seal oxygen from the threads thus creating the anaerobic
condition.
Did you split the nut to remove it?
What condition where the threads in the nut?
It appears you stopped once you discovered the problem on the one stub.
Do you think the others are the same?
I am not an engineer (much less a materials engineer), and I would want
to consult one regarding what you might expect regarding the quality of
the overall bolt.  Once that question is answered, you could lower the
level when you epoxy and use the lower threads, which appear to be in
good condition.
That is my unprofessional take on this.

Charles Finn
Mighty Quinn #114