[C38] passage making

mark turner empty1 at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 31 11:17:52 EDT 2008

One of the most useful bits of kit we have for long passages are stainless steel, wide necked food flasks... We cook up a whole batch of stew, soup, curry , chilli - etc and these will keep it piping hot for up to 24 hours. We found crew are much more likely to eat on passage when there is something already prepared and hot, rather than if someone has to go cook it.. It keeps the crew in better shape, especially if the weather turns nasty and is a big moral and safety plus..
Also a pressure cooker- which cuts down galley time for preparing stuff for the flasks (and reduces washing up) and saves gas.. We found a good stainless steel one in Walmart which fits snugly into the bin behind the settee backs.I would say these are two of our most useful passage making tools!!
To increase water capacity we found Food Lion 5 gallon plastic water boxes fitted exactly in the area aft of the cool box and when empty folded down until we could refill them.
Good luck n Fair Winds.
Mark