[C38] Bedding Shrouds

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Wed May 7 18:29:04 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 11:54 -0700, Rick Swensson wrote:
> A while back someone mentioned re-bedding the chain plates.  Was there
> a consensus on what to use?  I seem to recall it was marine epoxy but
> don't remember which one.  Any thoughts?
>
> Rascal has stains on the bulkheads from water leaks but no structural
> problems.  Also some of the bolts through the cabin top leak as well.
> Fortunately in SoCal we don't get much rain but the moisture from fog
> drips through as well.
>
> Rick  Swensson

If you are discussing the mounting of the chainplates, then you need to
look at the loads, and you will see that they require substantial
backing.  On our boats the mids and uppers tie to a bar which is
fastened via stainless rods (in the hanging locker on starboar) to
spread the load.  On the port they tie inot the head bulkhead.  And
epoxying the areas to prevent rot and to help ensure the strain is
handled is OK.

At the deck pass through, though, the chain plate ends are unsupported,
and shrouds alternately receive the heavy load on the windward side and
release on the leeward so they tend to flex.  Using expoy is doomed to
fail, because of this flexing.  Use silicon caulk, such as Sikaflex or
Life caulk around the deck plates to prevent leakage and allow flex
without cracking.

Regards,
Les H