[C38] Retrofitting opening cabin windows

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Thu May 15 20:52:18 EDT 2008

I have stock (leaky?) cabin windows but we did improve our air flow another way.

I installed a clam shell vent on the leading edge of our forward anchor locker.  I installed an adjustable plastic wall register on the forward V-berth bulkhead making the anchor locker into a large dorade.  There is always a slight air flow coming through the boat unless we close the bulkhead register.

When we are in heavy weather or rough seas, I rotate the clam shell vent 180 degrees so blue water doesn't get scooped into the anchor locker.  I insulated the bottom of the anchor locker hatch  with sleeping bag foam bought at a sporting goods store.  This keeps the ventilation air cool before it enters the V-berth.

The nice thing about this modification is it's really effective, easy, quick to do and CHEAP!

When we were on a particularly rough passage to Key West in heavy seas, the V-berth stayed comfortable day and night, even in rain and Florida sun.

Tom Troncalli