[C38] Wiring Question

Jan Pitesa PitesaJ at peteramayer.com
Fri May 16 09:10:11 EDT 2008

Could you perhaps include a wiring diagram for us non electrical engineers?

Jan Pitesa
Mysteri
New Orleans

             "Tom T."
             <tdtron at earthlink
             .net>                                                      To
             Sent by:                  "hlhowell at pacbell.net,
             listserve-bounces         Catalina 38 Listserve"
             @catalina38.org           <listserve at catalina38.org>
                                                                        cc

             05/15/2008 07:40                                      Subject
             PM                        Re: [C38] Wiring Question

             Please respond to
             tdtron at earthlink.
                net; Please
                respond to
                Catalina 38
                 Listserve
             <listserve at catali
                 na38.org>

It seems to me that loop circuits are illegal in a/c circuits for several
reasons, the most important possibly being a safety issue with possible hot
circuits when the circuits were supposedly cut.

DC circuits don't exhibit inductive reactions like AC circuits do unless
they are inductively coupled with an external AC source.  A DC loop
actually has a lower "Q" making it even less able to exhibit parasitic
oscillations which could cause RFI than the standard harness.  "Q" is the
sensitivity of an antenna in regards to a specific frequency.  The higher
the Q, the more the antenna will react to a particular frequency and more
immune to inductive coupling to other frequencies.  A low Q antenna won't
perform like a high Q antenna but a low Q antenna will react to a broader
range of frequencies.  Every piece of wire will react to some frequency,
our job is to minimize that effect unless it is our antennas and not our
wiring.  We want a very low Q on anything but our actual antennas.

The stock lighting harness on a Catalina 38 is quite long between the panel
and last light over the ice box, possibly around 35'.  The natural resonate
frequency of such a long length of harness would have a tuned resonance
very low, too low to make much impact on any modern electronics.  The
branch circuits going from the harness to individual lights would have a
much greater chance to make a parasitic resonance but those circuits would
not be effected by the type of harness we employ in any case.

By making the shunt across the engine compartment, the effective resonate
frequency of the harness would be raised but the resonant "Q" of the
harness would be greatly lowered making parasitic oscillations much less
likely.  A loop antenna has a very low "Q" by nature and this closed loop
harness would actually have an even lower "Q" than a loop antenna because
unlike an antenna, our harness is composed of two conductors with one being
grounded to the boat battery making a ground for any parasitic voltages.

One thing I did do on the Renata that I failed to mention was that I
extended the wiring harness to the sail locker before returning through the
loop shunt back to the breaker panel. I attached an auxiliary ground at the
galley and ran this ground  to my house batteries which gave me even less
resistance in the circuit.  I expect this additional ground also acts as a
parasitic oscillation killer also.

I have had this low resistance DC harness modification for several years
and I have never experienced any hum or any other type of induced
radiation, either on the AM radio or SSB radio.  I would not be afraid of
this loop circuit on a DC circuit.  I totally agree about the dangers of a
loop AC circuit but I think the benefits of lower loss on the DC circuit is
a great plus.

If you do decide to make your harness into a loop as I did, turn on your
cabin lights before you attach the last loop connection and watch how much
your lights improve when the final connection is attached.  You will be
amazed at how much brighter your cabin will be.

Tom Troncalli
Renata #95
St. Pete, Fla

Based