[C38] Wiring Question

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sat May 17 00:32:31 EDT 2008

I guess this was aimed at me.  Attached is a diagram of a loop ground
system.  The positive I have portrayed as a two branch star, (two wires
distributing to loads.  On our boats this would be the jumper across the
switches, and the switches would be between the load boxes A-J and the
respective lead).

	If all the loads are equal and distributed as drawn, The branch with
C,D,E,F,G, and H would have 6x the load in watts and the branch A,B, I,
and J would have 4x the load in watts.  This would leave the ground
between J and H to balance the remaining wattage as a distributed
current.  This wire would not have the effect you might expect.  This is
because the sums of the current errors and paths are not equal, but
distributed around the loop at differing intervals.  If the length
between J and H is quite short, probably no problem, but the resistance
would be very low, and the current is probably 2 or three times the load
current.  As the lenght between J and H increases, the current will
produce more and more heating effects (I squared R equals power, so the
heating is the square of the current times the resistance.  If the
resistance is 25milliohms, and the current is 6A, the heating effect is
36*.025, or 900 milliwatts.  But remember the size of the wire, and so
if the wire were say a 12G wire, it might rise about 25degrees F.  Not
too bad, unless some of the wire breaks, or the insulation is thin, or
some other problem occurs.  Then it could be a fire.  It depends on the
distribution of that 900mw.

          On the other hand, if the current and voltage worked out so
that the voltage at the base of j and the base of g were equal, then
there would be no current flow between those two points.  Strangely
enough this will affect the current from the legs of H and I, and they
will not operate as expected.  It is this bridging effect that is used
in many forms of measurement and control of currents in DC systems.

	I have fallen pray to this myself, when I added Jace's second battery
bank, with a common ground resistor.  The charging current to one bank
was exactly equal and opposit to the run current of the refer.  The net
effect was that neither the charger nor the reefer worked as expected,
and the battery went flat rather than being held by a charger.

Also we lost some food because the reefer wasn't cooling properly.

Its a magicians trick, but one with strange consequences.

Regards,