[C38] Exhaust manifold exhaust flange on Universal 5424/M30.

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Thu May 29 15:31:53 EDT 2008

Hi, Russ,
	My standard solution for anything corroded is lots of liquid wrench,
and a little heat (not too much and no open flame as LW is flamable I
think.)

	There are some tools available from plumbing suppliers for removing
pipe sections that have broken off, but I suspect that the piece you are
working with is probably too far gone for those to be much help.

	I haven't done this work on Marine engines, but on Guam on cars and
other vehicles which is about the same thing (the island is only 5mi x
15 mi roughly and everything corrodes eventually).  Sometimes I would
use a hacksaw blade and cut the offending bit lenghtwise, but you run
the change of mucking up the threads.  If the original installation used
anti-seize, the LW will loosen and lubricate that, so the section may
just come out with some gentle persuasion on the visible end.  I have
occasionally been successful with notching the visible part, and using a
blade to act like a screwdriver to take it out.  But plumbers have a
tool that looks like two curved racheted jaws that will do the same
thing by gripping the inside of the pipe as you turn it with a socket or
T handle.

Regards,
Les H