[C38] Sunbrella Cleaning

D. R. Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Sat May 31 09:00:48 EDT 2008

Phil: I clean the algae and dirt off of my Sunbrella boat cover every
summer with the recommended 1/2 cup bleach and 1/4 cup natural soap per
gallon of water.
Then I spray the ultraviolet water proofer back on when the cover dries.
Good instructions at this site,
http://www.signs-awnings.com/CareAndCleaning.pdf. A fried cleans his
sails the same way, but without the waterproofer afterwards. Air drying
is important,
http://www.signs-awnings.com/CareAndCleaning.pdf
Don

Phil Gay wrote:

> I understand that the companies that clean sails have long troughs to
> soak sails without creasing them.  These large baths allow the
> cleaners to circulate around the surfaces of the sail.  I have some
> mildew on the white Sunbrella UV cover for my jib.  I read that one
> should only use mild soap on the Sunbrella, but it doesn't get the
> mildew or the stains off.  I wonder if there are any spot cleaners
> that are safe for Dacron and Sunbrella.
>

> Phil Gay
>
> C38 049 Que Linda
>
> Everett, WA