[C38] Dry Packing

Rich West rw at idea-asylum.com
Thu Jun 5 14:35:21 EDT 2008

Hi Larry and all,

The previous owner of Legacy had some kind of Teflon packing material
installed, I don't remember the brand (it was a bright blue-green color).  I
was not impressed.  It still dripped, required frequent adjustment and
repacking.  When I first installed the PYI dripless gland, I also replaced
the prop shaft.  It was worn a bit much at the packing gland.

That said, if my only choice was standard packing material or one of the
high-tech packing materials, I would definitely go with the high-tech stuff.
It was better than the standard packing.

Rich, Legacy, hull #360

  _____