[C38] Dry Packing

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 5 16:59:50 EDT 2008

I put GFO packing on my boat eight years ago and it's been wonderful. I have not had to readjust the packing nut since the initial break-in adjustment of the Gortex packing.

A dock neighbor of mine had the dripless type packing replacement on his boat and it seized causing the bellows to tear which almost ruined a cruise he was on.   They had to make emergency repairs to replace the damaged dripless packing.   I don't know how often this happens but I have to believe the original compression packing with the updated GFO Gortex packing material is the more robust solution of the two types.  The GFO packing is much cheaper and faster to install too.

Tom Troncalli
The Renata hull #95