[C38] Water pump

RICHARD KILROY dickkilroy at verizon.net
Mon Jun 16 09:28:24 EDT 2008

There are two water pumps on the 5424 one is the saltwater cooling pump and
the other the fresh water circulation pump. I have replaced both on my cat
38 I think it is the saltwater pump that Charles has leaking, it has a long
name I have forgotten( sounds Italian I think) If that is the pump it should
be replaced with a Sherwood which is adapted to fit  by the dealer. it pumps
more gallons per minute and cools the engine better. If the Great Lakes guy
doesn't have what you want you can also try Hansen Marine in Marblehead Ma
781=631-3282. There is a freeze plug on the bottom of the face of the engine
where this pumps drip will run , if it goes on long enough, the freeze plug
will corode and fail and you will loose the engine oil, again it happened to
me in saltwater. Hope all ends well

Dick