[C38] Water pump update

Charles charles at finn.ws
Tue Jun 24 11:40:33 EDT 2008

Well, the Mighty Quinn is now in Duluth, MN after somewhere between
1500-1900 nautical miles  (tacking hard to windward was a fact of life
through most of the voyage).  There seems to be some confusion regarding
the water pump.  The universal 5424 actually as two water pumps as do
all marine engines that use seawater cooling.  In my case, the internal
water pump began leaking at the seal.  The bearings are great and the
confounding part is the leak has actually diminished!  One clue is that
I had just replaced the alternator that had not been working for quite
some time...  I have 195 watts of solar and a 400 watt wind generator
that supply more than I ever need for the fridge, radar, etc. so the
alternator problem was masked by topped off batteries and my willingness
to ignore all the signs!   Plus, most of my sailing (until this five
week journey) had been 3-7 days. At this point, I am keeping the new
pump in reserve and will be carefully monitoring the anti-freeze
levels.  So, my thinking is the new alternator may have dramatically
increased belt loading, which may have caused the stiff water pump seal
to stress a bit and then start doing its job.  (comments?)

What I have learned about water pumps:  First is there are actually two
models for this engine.  One has 15 bolts holding it to the engine and
mine has sixteen (be certain you carefully count as they are not all
visible from one position).  Second is this is not an inexpensive part!
I purchased my pump from MARINEPARTSSOURCE.COM which was more than $40
less than Torrenson (exact same part).  Don't forget to get the gasket!
And be very careful regarding even torque as this part would be easy to
damage when you are mounting it.  I intend to use an anti -seize grease
to ensure  it can be removed in the future.

What would I do differently if I had the time (and already had not
bought the part):  The fact is that I had to replace the entire pump
($480) assembly when the only problem was a $0.50 seal.  If I had access
to a machine or even a small engine repair shop, I am certain they could
press out the bearing and seal out and replace them for a fraction of
what I paid.

My near term plans are to sail to the Apostle Islands after July 4 and
then on to Traverse Bay/Door County area of Lake Michigan where I plan
to leave her for the winter.

Regards,
Charles Finn
Mighty Quinn #114