[C38] Binding Halyards/Masthead

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sat Jul 5 11:57:56 EDT 2008

This sounds like something has snagged the halyard.  With no load, the
halyard would normally just slide over the sheave.  You may have
something lodged inside the mast.  And for it to be both halyards is
really weird.  Do they by any chance move in tandem?  If you hold the
jib sheet and pull the main shackle, does the jib halyard try to move
with it?  Are they wire to rope?  If you are using wire to rope
halyards, and this is the case, one may have fishooked and grabbed the
other.

Regards,