[C38] can't shift

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 17 07:25:16 EDT 2008

Bill,

I had the same problem you are having.  Our transmissions have a twist
spline on the clutch pack shafts that makes the torque of the engine add
pressure to the clutch pack.

This ingenious design makes for a very easy shift with a light touch but it
also makes having the transmission neutral adjustment very critical.

Remove the shift cable to the transmission bellcrank on the starboard side
of the transmission.  It can be reached from the quarter berth.  Shift the
transmission manually without the cable attached.  If your transmission now
shifts OK without the cable attached, your problem is just an adjustment.

Pay attention to where the middle of the neutral range is on the shift
bellcrank.  I marked the end of the shift shaft with a deep scratch showing
where mid neutral was so I could adjust the bellcrank in relation to the
shaft.

I then moved the shift bellcrank until it was attached exactly mid point to
the travel of the transmission cable making the shift travel exactly the
same amount of swing going from neutral to either forward or reverse.  I
reattached the cable.

I have heard that on our Hurth transmissions, even the bolt pattern on the
bearing plate the shift shaft runs through needs to be loosened and
centered in the middle of the slack of the bolt pattern.  I didn't have to
fool with this so I don't know if the person telling me was right or
blowing smoke but after centering the travel on my shift shaft bellcrank,
my transmission worked great.

Tom Troncalli

reverse. Could not get it out of reverse killed engine went right into
neutral. Please don't tell me I need a new transmission! At least until the
market starts back up.