[C38] Suggestions/Catalina 38 For Sale

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 4 12:41:44 EDT 2008

Hello Larry,

I replaced my exhaust from the manifold back to the thru-hull with
everything new but the muffler.  I did this about ten years ago so I am not
fresh on the details but I did use common galvanized pipe,  I bought a new
cast iron riser from a local marine engine supply house.

The plumbing is standard plumbing pipe and connects from the exhaust flange
on the engine manifold. through a bend to the riser.  Another pipe stub was
connected to the riser with a flexible hose to the muffler.  From the
muffler back, it's all rubber hose. I bought the hose from a local Goodyear
industrial supply house in the St. Pete, Fla area.  My hose has a one way
flapper valve where the hose passes over the sail locker but I think that
may be optional.  That is to keep water from possibly siphoning back into
the engine on a starboard tack.

Since I have made the sail locker modification for easy access to the
engine compartment, I decided to also move my muffler slightly to allow
easier access to the engine area.

I wrapped the entire metal part of the system with an asbestos type wrap
that the engine parts house sold by the foot. I secured both ends with hose
clamps which was easier and more cosmetic than using wire as some do.

If you have access to a welder and stainless pipe material, making the
entire metal section out of stainless pipe would be preferred but I didn't
take the time, expense or trouble.  I just replaced everything with the
same stuff as before which means mine will fail again some day and I get to
do everything again.

Tom Troncalli
Renata #95 St. Pete, Fla