[C38] To polish or not to polish

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Mon Aug 4 23:33:32 EDT 2008

Here in Dana Point we have BioDiesel available.  It is like polishing
compound... The little buggers that make the black stuff don't seem to
tolerate it.  We used a full tank of it to clean out the lines and
stuff.  Changed a few filters, and had the local fuel dock siphon out
the last 1/4 tank or so, then wipe out what was left in the lower
forward corner.  That was a year ago.  No problems since.

	However be aware that the old universal Diesels may not run on Biofuel,
and some new diesels will say it violates the warranty.  I find that
funny, since the diesel engine was originally run on peanut oil.

	Also it can be hard on hoses I have recently heard, but see no issues
with ours (yet).  Of course I have to tempter this with the fact we
haven't used the boat much yet this year. (two short trips, plus a once
a month run to recharge the batteries (on the buoy now).

Regards,