[C38] Overboard

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Wed Aug 6 00:38:38 EDT 2008

Joe,

Great idea and it should be easy to develop, a negative buoyancy activated switch, a helium canister and ballon with reflective tape all attached to a lanyard.  Possibly even including a water activated strobe.   (negative buoyancy so that your crew isnt deploying ballons rounding a mark during a heavy rain LOL).  GET A PATENT on the idea, I regularly see inventors come through my door with ideas and non-disclosures, the saddest story was a machinist who came through with a neat idea for keeping the straw attached to his WD-40 can,  really novel inexpensive idea.   Have you seen WD-40s new can with the articulating straw? I shook my head when I saw that on the shelf the first time, poor guy had presented his idea was turned away then the large company set their engineering dept loose on a solution.   No royalties or payout to the inventor.  A patent attorney can help you define the broad definition of the invention and give you protection for variants, then a company like mustang or another safety company could buy your patent and develop the product they could market and manufacture.   Along the same ideas as the inflatable MOB pole system only one step better.   Great Idea!!

Steve
Peregrine #312
Seattle