[C38] Overboard

Joseph Launie jlaunie at cox.net
Tue Aug 5 22:25:00 EDT 2008

*Hi,
    The Santa Barbara King harbor race produced an overboard story that
is full of lessons for all of us. I wrote about this subject in the
February 2007 Mainsheet.
An Antrim 27 with 4 gals on board rounded up putting 2 of them in the
water at twilight in 30 knot winds and big seas. One of them drifted
away from the boat with no flotation and was picked up by another boat
after being passed  by two boats. the story is attached.
    I have given visibility of overboard crew a lot of thought. A
personal strobe light and a whistle (good luck with the noise level of
the seas) are easy and obvious. We had a similar incident here in Oxnard
where the overboard person during the afternoon was only recovered
because they drifted close enough to an oil platform to be spotted. The
boats were all looking in the wrong area. Wind and current can be
difficult to estimate.
    I wonder if it would be feasible to develop an orange 18 inch
metalicized helium filled balloon on a 6 foot tether to be packed into
the collar of your inflatable jacket and automatically deployed. That
would give you a chance of being seen. What do you think? Joe Launie,
Macavity

*I attempted to include the story from the sailing scuttlebutt. Thanks
to the gate keeper you will have to find it for yourself