[C38] Radios

D. R. Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Fri Aug 8 09:00:42 EDT 2008

Joe: We have the cockpit remote for the VHF on Discreet Charm and had to
replace it recently. Sounds to me like some work with your plug
(corrosion?) might be due. Monitoring 16 is a really good idea, dunno
about legalities. Someone in the water would be a Pon-Pon, which we hear
fairly frequently in SFB. I was sailing last week on Lake Michigan and
heard several: airplane lost in the lake off Sheboigan , man overboard
near Milwaukee, boat without a rudder in Indiana somewhere.  The man
overboard was first broadcast by the vessel that lost the unfortunate
person. Within a few minutes, the Coastguard began repeating the
broadcast, then canceled it when the guy was rescued. We never heard a
cancellation for the lost aircraft or the boat sans rudder. The woman in
the water at King Harbor was /muy/ lucky.
regards, Don

Joseph Launie wrote:
> *Hi,
>     Two issues which are related.
>           First, we have an extention radio in our cockpit. The kit
> included a 12 foot long cord with a male plug at the end which you
> could install in the side of your cockpit. We did. The radio is
> attached to a female plug so it can be easily removed. It is supposed
> to be able to change channel, turn on & off and all from the cockpit.
> One problem - we cannot get it to work. Everytime a mechanic looks at
> it he mates the two parts violently and it works. is there a better
> way to do this?
>     We feel the need for a radio in the cockpit we can hear while racing.
>     I have a recollection of a "rule" that under way you are supposed
> to monitor channel 16.
> What brings this up is the gal in the water without boat or flotation
> in the King harbor race. She was in the water 30 minutes and only
> picked up because a J37 skipper happened to go below and turn on the
> radio and hear the M'aidez over channel 16. She was passed by 2 boats
> within `10 boat lengths who sailed by without seeing her. They did not
> see her because they were not looking. They were not looking because
> they had not heard the m'aidez from Channel 16.
>
>     My question is, is the admonition to monitor channel 16 a rule, so
> that those in breach are negligent, or is it a suggestion like your
> father's suggestion to avoid having anything to do with women who have
> more problems than you do. Not always followed. Joe
> *

Donald R. Strong
Professor
Section of Evolution and Ecology