[C38] Radios

Joseph Launie jlaunie at cox.net
Fri Aug 8 01:58:50 EDT 2008

*Hi,
    Two issues which are related.
          First, we have an extention radio in our cockpit. The kit
included a 12 foot long cord with a male plug at the end which you could
install in the side of your cockpit. We did. The radio is attached to a
female plug so it can be easily removed. It is supposed to be able to
change channel, turn on & off and all from the cockpit. One problem - we
cannot get it to work. Everytime a mechanic looks at it he mates the two
parts violently and it works. is there a better way to do this?
    We feel the need for a radio in the cockpit we can hear while racing.
    I have a recollection of a "rule" that under way you are supposed to
monitor channel 16.
What brings this up is the gal in the water without boat or flotation in
the King harbor race. She was in the water 30 minutes and only picked up
because a J37 skipper happened to go below and turn on the radio and
hear the M'aidez over channel 16. She was passed by 2 boats within `10
boat lengths who sailed by without seeing her. They did not see her
because they were not looking. They were not looking because they had
not heard the m'aidez from Channel 16.

    My question is, is the admonition to monitor channel 16 a rule, so
that those in breach are negligent, or is it a suggestion like your
father's suggestion to avoid having anything to do with women who have
more problems than you do. Not always followed. Joe
*