[C38] Radios

Charles charles at finn.ws
Fri Aug 8 10:31:18 EDT 2008

My understanding is that any vessel underway is supposed to monitor CH16
if possible.  Vessels over 60' are required to do so, but after sailing
the Great Lakes for the past couple months, I can report that many of
the large freighters do not respond to queries, which could mean they
are not listening or simply don't wish to respond.  In one case, I
spotted a MOB pole in the water and tried to contact a freighter that
was heading directly for it....  no response on any of the contact
channels.  He ran right over it.  Good news is that once I was able to
get to the pole it was apparent it had been in the water for some time.
We have both a hand held and a fixed radio in our cockpit.  The fixed
radio shares our main antennae with the one below with a manual switch.
The portable is mostly for contacting ports and locks, but it is on all
the time.
Weather on the Great Lakes is prone to change dramatically and quickly.
At one point, we were on a run with moderate air and haze.  The radio
came on with a warning that a storm was detected moving towards us (5
miles away) with winds reaching 50+.  We immediately battened down and
it was a good thing as the wind hit us like a hammer (it would have
stripped the sails off us if they had been up).  One interesting thing
is that due to the haze and lack of a land horizon, it was hard to
actually see the wind wall coming at us even though we knew it was
coming!  Without the radio in the cockpit, we would have been in real
trouble.

Note:  If you are thinking of purchasing a new radio, look at the new
versions that can communicate GPS info (DSC option).

Charles Finn
Mighty Quinn #114
Great Lakes