[C38] Radios

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Fri Aug 8 13:18:06 EDT 2008

My input on this may be way off base, but here goes.

Nancy and I always monitor channel 16, on JACE underway, and on the
dinghy when doing anything other than running ashore from anchor, and
sometimes even then.

Today, there are folks all over the world and the especially in the
various states that want to license boaters.  The real reason is to get
more money out of "rich yachties", but the means to accomplishing this
is a gradual erosion of freedoms.  The weapon of choice is
multi-pronged, from environmental concerns, to fuel contaminating the
coast, to bottom paints, to grey water, to invasive species, and finally
safety of both boaters and commercial traffic.  Every safety item you do
not employ is another bullet in the gun that will kill freedom on the
water.  It is another penny you will eventually contribute to someones
tax base, and it will cost you not just today, but into the far distant
future inflated by both normal inflation, and the usual inflation of the
political folks to get their hands on more money.

The choices we all make will impact not just our own future, but the
future of the oceans and all our descendants into the far future.

I don't want to force decisions on anyone.  I especially do not want to
lose any of my friends and contacts on the sea, so please think about
the decisions you make, and do join some of the boating communities to
help affect and control the growth of taxes, fees, licenses, and
restrictions against boating.

Regards,
Les H
JACE