[C38] Solar panel controller

phil phil317 at sunflower.com
Wed Sep 24 06:51:12 EDT 2008

> Max,

I just mounted a pair of kyocera 130 watt panels to Our Tern yesterday.  I used an ASC brand 16 amp contoller which cost me about $50.  I did quite a bit of research before splurging on the panels.  There are a ton of different controllers out there.  The Max Power Point trackers don't make economic sense for small 12 volt systems.  The main choices you face are regarding weatherization and options such as auxiliary relays (for starting a generator automatically or disconnecting small loads if the battery gets low).  Some controllers short the panels to reduce voltage and some shunt the panels to a dummy load.  The shunts tend to be regarded as oldfashioned; but if you shunt to a couple of Nicro fan vents in addition to the dummy load, it could be considered a desireable feature.  The ASC controller is a 5x5x0.75 block of epoxy with four screws sticking out of it- about as simple and weatherproof as you can get. If you want to charge two banks (house and start, I assume) you would just wire in a second, smaller, controller to the start bank.  I chose not to bother since my start battery is always higher than my house batteries due to the anchor light.

To get the most oomph- plan on using #10 wire for the entire hookup, and make sure the Schotky diodes are all still good before reinstalling the panels. Also, in many states, anything to do with solar is either tax-free at the time of purchase or tax creditable later.

Email me at phil317 at sunflower.com if you want any more info on my installation.

--
Phil Sweet

Cat38 158 Our Tern