[C38] Solar panel controller

Charles charles at finn.ws
Wed Sep 24 10:00:29 EDT 2008

I have 195 watts of solar panels (one Kyoceria 130 and  one 65) mounted
on the Mighty Quinn.  I went with a $75 generic controller, which
quickly burned out.  I replaced it with a Morningstar MPPT controller:
http://store.altenergystore.com/Charge-Controllers/Solar-Charge-Controllers/MPPT-Solar-Charge-Controllers/Morningstar-MPPT-Charge-Controllers/Morningstar-Sunsaver-MPPT-Charge-Controller/p6185/

which has really done the job.  I did quite a bit of research on this as
I rely completely on my panels to run my fridge, radar, etc. as I am
usually on a mooring.  After two sailing seasons, my experience is the
combination works very well and I have no reservations recommending this
combination.  I always have ice cubes when I get on the boat!
The attached picture shows how I have mounted my panels (taken last July
in Duluth harbor entrance on Lake Superior).  Please note the wind
charger mount in the upper right side of the picture.  While I am
keeping the 400 watt wind charger, I almost never use it as it is noisy
and I don't need the additional power!

Charles Finn
Mighty Quinn #114
Great Lakes