[C38] Chain Plates still leaking

Glen Robinson g.a.robinson at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 5 13:41:57 EDT 2008

Hi, group!
When I first had the "C-38 Leaking Shroud Problem" I unscrewed the deck plate fittings, cleaned them thoroughly, and suspended them as high as possible on the shrouds with string to allow free working room at the deck.  I then used a Dremel (and various gougers/scrapers) to slightly enlarge the gap where the shroud passes through the deck, creating a "V" shape, with the top of the gap wider than the bottom, limiting the depth of the "V" is NOT to about 1/2"-3/4".  Using various tools, ALL old sealent, dirt and dust was thoroughly removed from the shrouds, through the entire deck, and the groove rinsed with a solvent.  After masking the deck (leaving about 3/8" around the fitting footprint), I generously caulked each shroud with an adhesive/caulking compound (Sailors disagree on which is the best, so just use your own favorite), being certain to completely fill the "V" and the footprint of the plate on the deck.  I then lowered the plate
 onto the deck and PARTIALLY tightened the 2 screws, leaving the plate slightly above the deck.  The following day--after the compound has dried--I run the screws the rest of the way down to bring the plate tight against the deck, compressing the caulking into the "V" cutout, and forcing it tight against the shrouds.
I repeat this process every couple of years, and the problem has not reappeared.