[C38] performance

Joseph Launie jlaunie at cox.net
Sun Dec 14 01:33:05 EST 2008

Ken,
    I have a late model 38 with a 4 cylinder engine but solved the
backing problem. I put on a two bladed Max-Prop. (I now wish I had
gotten a 3 bladed which costs more but does an even better job providing
power in rough seas and  backing.It is a matter of $$$.)
the 2 blade Max prop will be a huge improvement over what you have. It
is a feathering prop so it is just as efficient backward as forward.
What I do is put it in reverse, give it a little power to get the boat
moving and then shift to neautral -as the boat coasts back I alternate -
a little reverse, a little neautral. You can make it back out in a
perfectly straight line. The downside is the max Prop (do not accept
substitutes) will cost a bit but it is one of the best investments we
ever made. Because the max prop is powerful in reverse you can use it to
stop the boat coming in. Make certain that the pitch is set to the specs
recommended for your boat when it is installed. Joe Launie/Macavity