[C38] performance

S. Orton ssorton at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 14 01:51:41 EST 2008

A bigger engine will not help at all.  Put the helm over to starboard about 30 degrees.  At low rpm (say 1000) engage reverse for about 5 sec, go to neutral- the boat should have some reverse way on.  Wait about 5 seconds and engage reverse again.  Repeat this reverse/neutral cycle until you have sufficient way on and you have some rudder control.  With no way on and a high revving prop will only cause your stern to swing to the port with very little reverse motion.  The above is just a basic guideline- wind, current, etc. add to a procedure you need to develop.  More power is not the answer.
Good luck,  Steve O (Santa Susanna)