[C38] Good Foul Weather Gear

Mikenolen at aol.com Mikenolen at aol.com
Thu Dec 18 19:58:09 EST 2008

Larry, Greetings from 4800' above sea level. We sail almost every day of  the
year, often in below freezing wind chills. I have been extremely pleased
with the combination I have been using. Silk base layer, feet, hands, long j's,
turtle neck. Polar weight fleece pants and top. Most important Gill "Atlantic"
 foulies, Gill sea boats (wool socks over silk and lots of foot powder-keeps
your  feet dry.), Gill balaclava(sp?) and helmsman gloves. It sounds like a
lot but  really isn't all that cumbersome. I could ski bump runs in that  combo.
In extreme (winter) conditions we always wear auto inflators and rig
jacklines. Not much survivability if you end up in the water, it just make the
recovery easier and safer if the body is hanging on the side of the  boat. ;-)

Mike and Buck  (pup-1st mate)
S/V The Great Escape
Dock 300 slip 317
Lake Pueblo,  Co

In a message dated 12/18/2008 4:52:42 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,