[C38] Snow

Mikenolen at aol.com Mikenolen at aol.com
Tue Dec 23 09:34:39 EST 2008

Happy holidays to all in the frozen NW.
>From my perspective, at 4800' above sea level, it seems like you guys have
it made. Our general rule for winterizing boats is generally based on water
temperature. We start getting nervous when the water temperature get into  the
low forties. With that said, in our climate, the "air temps" are generally
getting into the single digits when the water hits forty. First action, drain
down fresh water systems, I generally pour in a gallon of "pink" and pump it
through all fixtures, galley and head. I pour another gallon in the head and
pump it through to the holding tank.. ( leave some in the bowl). Since we sail
as long as the water isn't too hard, engines are the last. I close the
through hull to the engine, remove the hose and stick the end of the pickup into  a
gallon of "pink", start the engine and wait until my exhaust turns  pink.
Return the pick up hose to the through hull, tighten  clamps. When I want to sail
through out the winter all I have to do is open  through hull (normal
procedure) fire up the motor and head out. The $2.50  additional cost to a late winter
sail is, well, nothing compared to being out on  the water.  The engine takes
about 2 to 3 minutes to winterize. I leave my  boat in the water all year.
Most years we don't get too much ice but some years  I could drive my truck to
the end of the dock. We have big bubblers under the  boats.  Burrrr!!!!!!!!!!

Mike and Buck  (pup-1st mate)
S/V The Great Escape
Dock 300 slip 317
Lake Pueblo,  Co

In a message dated 12/22/2008 11:34:22 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,