[C38] Companionway hatch damage

Max Soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Tue May 5 21:16:54 EDT 2009

Hi everybody,

A few months ago we discussed about the damage caused to the fiberglass on
the deck by sliding the companionway hatch in and out over the years (also
the hatch rails has develop some damage), so I contacted a Catalina Yachts
engineer and he said they are using teflon tape on their newer models  and I
just bought it but haven't installed it yet, but I think I should share it
with the list:

Max,
    You can get some 1/2" teflon tape from our parts department, part 90099,
$1/ft.  It comes with adhesive backing and is adding on the hatch rails to
minimize the friction between the fiberglass hatch rails and hatch.  It
would be best if you could get it on the whole length, but adding it to the
exposed areas when the hatch is forward will help a lot.

Good Sailing,

Kent Nelson
Engineering Department
Catalina Yachts

I contacted Dani Monterroso for the order.

Max Soto
C38 #198 ESTANCIA
Puntarenas, Costa Rica