[C38] JACE update

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Tue Apr 21 14:14:24 EDT 2009

Hi, guys,
	I have been working on JACE, at least up until I got my current cold :0

	So, to date I have rewired the freshwater pump, installed a new power
panel with circuit breakers for all functions, added a terminal block in
the back of the panel to connect everything, a real ground bus, and a #6
wire to route ground to the bus.  I have also wired in a saltwater
washdown pump, but haven't plumbed it in yet.  I put the washdown pump
in the Vee berth area, on the starboard side.  I am thinking of T'ing
off the head thru hull, since it is in the same area.  Have any of you
done this?  I am also planing on installing a strainer in line with the
pump.

	My two 65watt solar panels seem to keep the batteries at full charge.
I am using a Blue Sky 2512i controller, which is one of the MPPT
devices.  I created a bridge board across the soft dodger, clamped to
the dodger frame, with the wire routed down through the dodger zipper
and zip tied to the bow to where I use a twist lock connector to connect
down to the area next to the power panel, the controller is mounted to
the aft bulkhead, next to the speed and knotmeter cover.

	The bridge board works, but the ultimate solution is a hard dodger.
The last estimate I had was really high, so I guess if I am going to
have one, it is DIY.

	I still have to do the battery box mod or maybe find different
batteries.  It seems that Trojan makes a 6v battery that will fit my
application.  I have to "measure twice" to ensure that they will fit.
If they will, I will see what kind of deal I can get for my current
batteries and just swap them out.

	The bottom was done by Hull Tech in San Diego, stripped two layers of
glass off the bottom, and applied two new layers with barrier coats and
new bottom paint.  I wasn't too happy with the original appearance, it
is underwater, so only I know. I'll let you know in a year how that
looks after some water time.

	I had the nonskid painted in San Diego by Jorge at Driscoll boatyard.
I just had it made just a shade darker to help ensure good coverage.  It
works great, and seems to wear well.  It lets the original crosshatching
show through, so it looks beautiful, like a new boat.

	JACE is looking pretty good.  Now if I can just get over this cold and
finish the projects and go sailing life will be good!

	By the way, if your freshwater pump is not working well, check the
ground run.  Mine was badly corroded when I pulled it out.  The 12V line
looked good, but the ground was a mess.  The pump is 2x as efficient
now, and quieter as well.

Regards,
Les H