[C38] Hull speed formula.

empty1 at ntlworld.com empty1 at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 15 14:00:10 EDT 2009

It's important to remember the waterline/hull speed formula is only a very rough guideline to part of a boat's performance.With a boat with long over hangs like the C38 the waterline length increases as the vessel sits and as she heels.The fine bows make her very easy to push through the water and the fat midships tumble home gives her additional stiffness, enabling her to carry more canvas for her weight and to carry it longer.

A good rule of thumb guide for true hull speed is to see when the stern wake 'overtakes' the boat. On The Goose this is consistently about 8.5 knots, surfing downwind the gravity asist on the front of the wave can give a considerable boost.
In 10 to 15 foot seas across the Gulf of Mexico we regularly exceeded 13 knots under main and a small piece of genoa.The sharp edge at the stern seems to give her considerably better downwind handling than other IOR style boats I've sailed on.We averaged just over 9 knots for about 15hours.
Nice pictures Kerry.
PS. I WILL BE OUT ON CHEASAPEAKE BAY FROM 14TH AUGUST UNTIL 15TH SEPTEMBER. IT WOULD BE GREAT TO HOOK UP WITH SOME OTHER C38'S DURING THAT TIME AND DO SOME MUTUAL PHOTOSHOOTS UNDER CANVAS.
Cheers All.
Mark Turner, The Goose hull#80