[C38] standing rigging

Max Soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 09:12:50 EST 2009

Hi Ken,I did just what Steve did, the only difference is that there were no
riggers involved (there are no riggers in Costa Rica). Tension adjustment
were made by hand and a plumb was used for the right alingment, then, some
more adjustments were made under sail.

Regards,
Max

2009/1/5 Kenneth M. Sutto <kmspacific at hotmail.com>

>  Max, when you replaced your rigging how did you set the tension on the
> wires? Also if you did set the tension where did you get the information and
> what tool did you use?
>
>  Ken
>     Sundancer #251
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 08:30:14 -0600
> From: maxsoto at gmail.com
> To: listserve at catalina38.org
> Subject: Re: [C38] standing rigging
>
> Hi Ken,
>
> I replaced my standing rigging by myself a couple of years a go with
> sta-lock swageless fittings. I bought everything from www.riggingonly.com.
> Great prices!!
> They advised me to stay with the original wire diameter. A chain will be as
> strong as the weakest link, and the toggles, which usually fail first will
> remain with the same pin diameter unless I redrilled or replaced
> chainplates, so, I stood with the same wire diameter (5/16").  I also
> changed from 304 to 316 stainless steel, 5% less stronger but has more
> corrosion resistance. I just had 42knts a couple of months ago on a race,
> had a chinese gybe, and everything is still ok. Chainplates are another
> story. Just took apart the one on the starboard forward shorud, and was very
> corroded with a lot of cracks. I have to replace that one and check the
> others........
> The wire lenghts are on the C38 org  webpage.
> Hope this helps,
>
> Max Soto
> C38 #198 Estancia
> Puntarenas, Costa Rica
>
> 2009/1/4 Kenneth M. Sutto <kmspacific at hotmail.com>
>
>             I am looking into redoing my standing rigging on Sundancer this
> spring. The rigging is the same since she was built in1983.  I want to go
> larger on the on the wires or go with rod rigging.  Has anyone replaced
> their rigging recently with rod rigging or heavier wires? If so did you have
> to beef up your hull and mast attachments?
>
>            Regards,
>                 Ken

> --

Max Soto C38 #198 ESTANCIA Puntarenas, Costa Rica P Before printing,
think about ENVIRONMENTAL responsibility