[C38] Invertors

Charles charles at finn.ws
Fri Jan 23 14:44:57 EST 2009

I have an Aims 2500 watt inverter that I have been using for the past
two years with no problem.  I paid about $240 for it and installed it in
under the drawer (under the sink), so it would be very close to my
battery bank.  Aims does not have the reputation in the sailing world
that Xantrex has, but at the time an equivalent Xantrex was
substantially more!   This inverter ran at least 12 hours a day for 2
1/2 months last summer as I cruised the Great Lakes charging laptops,
cellphones, powertools, etc.   With 195 watts of solar and a 400 watt
wind generator, I had all the electricity I needed.  I will be
installing a small microwave this summer and this inverter has no
problem supporting this option.
Now for my confession.  I rigged a double male electric jumper cord that
I store with my shore power cord.  When I am on the water, I simply plug
the inverter into the AC power system (keeping the main breaker switch
off and being sure to turn off the water heater and shore charger).  My
shore power cord is tied and stowed with a large note telling me to
uninstall the jumper cord before untying the shore cable.  I am out for
days and this works great, but I don't see it as a good solution.  Too
many places where I could forget and too complicated for someone not
familiar with the boat.   Any ideas out there?

Charles Finn
Mighty Quinn #114
Great Lakes