[C38] radar

Charles charles at finn.ws
Mon Jan 26 13:30:36 EST 2009

Ke n,
Cruising the Great Lakes means you are routinely in shipping lanes in
all sorts of weather.  These ships are moving 3-4 times faster than you
are and while they are supposed to be watching their radar and radio....
my experience is that I would not rely on that.  I installed the Furuno
1715 radar before starting out on a 2 1/2 month cruise last spring.
This was one of the better decisions I have made regarding safe
navigation.   I remember crossing Lake Huron, starting out on a sunny
day with very positive weather forecasts saying any bad weather would be
well to the south...  Three hours out with spinnaker flying, a cloud
front lying right on the water hit us.  It was quite bizarre as
everything on the boat was condensing (even on our stocking caps), while
you could see clear sky perhaps 200 feet above us.  visibility went
immediately down to 50-100 feet.  Then the wind and waves started
building (20-30 knots and 6-8 feet from the stern).  Spinnaker is down
with double reefed main and perhaps 50% of furling headsail out as we
are surfing some of the waves with no visibility.  We are of course in
the main shipping lanes....  We "saw" at least three large objects I
assume were freighters go by us on the radar, but was not able to make
radio contact.  We had to steer clear of one of them with only radar for
eyes.  Then we began to run out of lake as we approached the islands and
reefs of Georgian Bay with building seas, which made things even more
interesting!  The channel on the charts said we had about a 1/4 mile to
shoot for between the reefs and it was well buoyed, but we couldn't see
more than 100 feet.   But the radar showed the buoys quite clearly and
between it and the chart plotter, I felt confident we could do this.
About a mile from land, the cloud just ended and we were in clear sky!
Imagine shooting through a cloud wall with high winds pushing you at
hull speed and the wall just ends!  I won't forget this I can assure you.
While we could have avoided the shore by turning around and fighting the
storm, we could not have seen the shipping.  Radar is a must for those
of us who sail the shipping lanes.
Two installation issues.  Most radars come with a 10 meter cable, which
is will work if you are going to mount the radome on a separate pole aft
or to the backstay.  I chose to get the 20 meter cable, which allowed me
to mount the radome above the masthead steaming light on the mast, with
the screen mounted on the pedestal guard as Joe suggests (see pictures).
I chose this location over the two other options because I think it
gives me a better chance to pick up objects close to the water such as
navigation buoys.  Second is I ran the rather substantial radar cable to
the pedastal through the port lazarette by drilling a hole just below
the cover.  There is only 3-4 inches between the guard and the
lazarette, which makes this an easy and safe location to get to the
pedestal (see picture).  Can't imagine how difficult it would be to get
this cable through the pedestal guard tubing!

Hope this helps!
Charles Finn
Mighty Quinn #114
Great Lakes