[C38] Rudder

Rich West rw at idea-asylum.com
Tue Feb 10 15:04:50 EST 2009

Hi Larry,

The previous owner of our boat suffered a knock-down on the way back from
Hawaii and bent the rudder shaft.  He had to sail about 1000 miles with only
two or three degrees of rudder movement.  When they took the rudder out,
they said they found some electrolysis on the rudder shaft though I would
think this would lead to breaking and not contribute to bending the shaft.
He got a new rudder from Catalina (about 10 years ago).  I've heard of
others (with different boats) grinding the fiberglass back on the rudder,
replacing just the shaft and reglassing.  I'd sure rather have a new rudder
if possible.

I think you're doing the right thing inspecting it.  I plan to drop my
rudder for inspection (at least part way) before we go off shore again.

Rich, Legacy, #360, Los Angeles