[C38] Rudder

Joseph Launie jlaunie at cox.net
Wed Feb 11 00:49:12 EST 2009

Larry,
    We replaced our rudder on Macavity and recommend it for boats such
as ours that are in the water all the time. The new rudder is available
complete with shaft directly from Catalina quite inexpensively. I
suspected my rudder was waterlogged probably because Frank Butler told
me to check it about 6 years ago.  When we hauled out in Ventura, they
dropped the old rudder and the yard owner called me and asked why I was
replacing the rudder because it looked so good. An hour later he called
back and said, "disregard the previous message." He carried the new
rudder and shaft across the yard by himself.  It took 3 large men to
carry the old rudder across the yard. Any questions? Joe Launie, Macavity