[C38] broken impellor

Rich West rw at idea-asylum.com
Sun Feb 22 16:06:23 EST 2009

Hi Patrick,

Here are my guesses for what they're worth...  I don't think the rubber
pieces from the impellor can be smoking as they're in the salt water cooling
system.  They can however, block water passages, but if they were to block
all raw water flow to the engine, or reduce the flow enough, the engine
would overheat and you'd know it.

If the smoking started right after your overheating incident, all the causes
I can think of are pretty serious things like a burnt valve or injector or a
scored cylinder wall.  A compression test might be revealing.  I'd guess
that it could also be the the engine carboned up during overheating but I
don't think that's normally the case.  You could try running the engine hard
at full throttle for a bit and see if that helps, though if it's one of the
serious things, this could be the last hard run prior to a rebuild.  (Wow,
do I sound pessimistic! Sorry.)

One other thought: do you have a temperature gauge on the engine or is it
just an overheating light?  If you have a gauge, is the engine running a
little hotter than before the incident?  If so, some of the passages in the
in the heat exchanger might be blocked by the rubber.  Running a little
hotter than normal could cause the smoke.  It's an easy matter usually to
open the heat exchanger end caps and clean out the debris.  Are you getting
good flow of water out of the exhaust?  If not, this could be the cause.

You can also check to see if the hose out of the water pump is hard when the
engine is running.  If so, it can indicate a lot of back-pressure from a
blockage somewhere in the system.

Another place that might get blocked by a disintegrated impellor is the
point where the raw water is injected into the exhaust elbow.  Again, this
would result in a hard hose and lower flow of water out of the exhaust
outlet.

I hope this is somehow helpful.

Rich, Legacy, #360, Los Angeles

  _____