[C38] heat exchanger

Rich West rw at idea-asylum.com
Wed Feb 25 12:23:21 EST 2009

Hi Joe,

The M35 Universal I had was a great engine but we were at about 4000 hours.
Even at that, there was nothing really wrong with the engine, but we cruise
and we just thought that the time was coming when we'd be off someplace
remote and in need of a rebuild.

Truthfully, I've had almost as many problems with the new Yanmar in a few
years as I'd had in all the time we had the old Universal - I think they're
tied at about 1-1.  On the universal, I used to have overheating problems
when I got into warm water.  We never did totally solve that except to back
down on the RPM when the batteries needed a lot of charging as the load of
the high-output alternator along with full cruising speed and warm water
would always cause overheating.  On the Yanmar, I've had a clogged water
inlet on the exhaust riser.  It turns out that I'm not using the engine
enough, water is sitting in the riser and rusting and the rust is clogging
the inlet.  I replaced the riser.  It seems like it might be an every two
year thing.

There's a long-winded answer to a simple question.

Rich, Legacy, #360, Los Angeles

  _____