[C38] heat exchanger

Joseph Launie jlaunie at cox.net
Wed Feb 25 15:37:05 EST 2009

Rich,
    I think the Universal is a marine version of the Kabota tractor
engine which is in use all around the world. I have heard that for that
reason, parts are available everywhere. I appreciate the answer. Cooling
problems can be tricky. When I took delivery of my new Catalina 30 years
ago, it had an overheating problem immediately. The Catalina factory
people and Universal rep spent hours looking at it. After a memorable
screaming match in my  main salon   ( Catalina v Universal), they came
up with a workaround which  increased the water flow somehow inside the
engine which worked. I kept asking them to haul the boat to check the
intake but they refused. When I hauled to paint the bottom later, I
found the intake was half filled with caulking compound from the initial
installation. Do not forget to check for this. Joe