[C38] heat exchanger

Charles charles at finn.ws
Wed Feb 25 18:40:44 EST 2009

I have been out of town for the last week or so and am just catching up.
As I understand Patrick's question, he is asking why black smoke might
be coming from the engine compartment. I assume this means it is not
coming from the exhaust, which I think means he is not seeing smoke
coming from the heat exchanger system (unless the Vetus muffler has
failed). Smoke coming from overheating bits of rubber caught in the heat
exchanger would require some extremely high temperatures within the
exchanger, which normally operates in the 200 degree range at its
hottest. I would think rubber bits charring would require much hotter
temperatures?

"Black smoke emanating from the engine compartment" could be from any
number of things from mechanical to electrical to internal to the
engine. I would first wonder what the smoke smelled like and then would
proceed from there.

Charles Finn
Mighty Quinn #114
Great Lakes