[C38] heat exchanger

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 25 19:10:30 EST 2009

Good point Charles,

I got aboard in the heat exchanger portion of the thread but if smoke is
indeed coming from the engine compartment and not the exhaust at the
exhaust outlet, it could be any number of things.

Valve cover oil leak dripping on the exhaust manifold?
Overheated heat exchanger or engine making oil fumes?
Leaking heat riser or exhaust manifold?

What is the operating temperature?  Is there visible oil leakage?  What
does the smoke smell like, diesel exhaust or burning oil?

I don't think this thing will be a problem to diagnose and fix,  just need
to catch it in the act.

Tom Troncalli
Renata #95