[C38] Edison chain cable

Charles charles at finn.ws
Fri May 8 09:33:43 EDT 2009

This was sent to me personally from one of our members and I am
forwarding it to the group.  cf

I have just replaced my steering wires. I made up my own but Edson also
sell them as replacements ready made up. The chief problem is the total
inaccessibility of the nuts of the ring bolts on the quadrant which
allow the wires to be tensioned.
On my boat at least you cannot get a hand to them from the after locker
as there is a heavy beam going across the quadrant. nor can you do it
from the port cockpit locker because there is a large water heater aftof
the engine which prevents even a small person getting to the nuts.
I got over this by welding a box spanner to the end of  steel tube 3' 4"
long which enabled me to work from the hatchway in the pilot berth. You
must have a long hollow box spanner and tube as the long tail of thread
protruding beyond the nuts prevents the use of a shallow socket. The
other end of the tube carries a hexagon nut welded on which enables you
to use a ratchet to turn it.
Even so, you have limited movement and you need someone in the cockpit
to turn the rudder with the emergency tiller so that the bolt is
presented directly towards you.
Uncomfortable working position but I see no other way the job can be done.