[C38] Tiller?

David Epstein davidepstein at seicontrol.com
Mon May 11 16:46:18 EDT 2009

David,

Attached please find my article about the tiller conversion.   Please
do not give it to anyone else, as I may actually get around to
sending it in to a couple of magazines to see if anyone would be
interested in publishing it...

On my boat, there was a fitting on the top of the rudder tube
(forward of the lazzerette) that just needed to be turned around 180
degrees.  On some 38s, I have seen a different fitting that looks
like you could insert a ~1" pipe into a hole, which is not what mine
looks like.  I attached a photo (the till bracket and tiller are the
temporary units).

You will be able to read about what I did to cover the hole, and
there is a picture in the article.  If you need more photos, I can
send them to you.

Let me know if you would like to discuss this further, I would be
happy to do whatever I can to make your project easier.

Regards,

David